When companies or organizations hire people, they look for people who have made contributions in the companies in which they have previously worked. Or, if this is your first job, you need to think about kinds of accomplishments you’ve achieved in other areas that make you stand out.
Contibutions might include:
- You made the work easier to get out
- Found a way to get work done in less time
- Found a way to get work done with fewer errors
- Saved the company money
- Helped increase sales
- Improved customer service
- Had a leadership position in volunteer organization
- If you’re a new graduate, what did you accomplish in school that would make you stand out? What did you do that made a difference?
- Found a way to get reports out quicker by using Excel. This saved 5 hours per week.
- Recommended we inspect radiators before they go through the bake oven. This saved hundreds of hours of re-work time.
- Devised a new form to keep track of equipment down time. This improved our preventative maintenance program
- Was president of my debating club.
- Was captain of our high school football team.
- Assisted in the development of content for the yearbook.